- outline the steps of the surgical patient's treatment path
- identify the main methods of assistance in the care of the surgical patient
- identify the effects of major surgical diseases on the patient's health, everyday survival and the patient's
- understand the importance of the guidance of the surgical patient and his relatives at different stages of the nursing care process
- know the importance of documentation and informing in ensuring the continuity of patient care
- know the stages of the surgical patient's treatment path
- masters the main methods of helping the surgical patient in nursing
- know the effects of the most important surgical diseases on the patient's health, everyday survival and the patient's relatives
- be able to guide the surgical patient and their relatives at different stages of the nursing care process using evidence-based information
- is able to document and communicate orally, ensuring the continuity of patient care
- masters the stages of the surgical patient's treatment path
- masters, with justification, the main methods of helping the surgical patient in nursing
- understand the effects of major surgical diseases on the patient's health, everyday survival and the patient's relatives
- is able to guide the surgical patient and his / her relatives in a patient-oriented way at different stages of the treatment process using evidence-based information
- is able to document assessments and communicate orally, ensuring the continuity of patient care
Hinkle, J.L & Cheever, K.H : Brunner & Suddarth's Textbook of Medical-Surgical Nursing. Wolters Kluwer Health/Lippincott Williams & Wilkins.
Contents: Pain Management (revise). Fluid and Electrolyte: Balance and Disturbance/Parenteral Fluid Therapy (revise) Oncology: Nursing Management in Cancer Care/Management of cancer (surgery and nursing management). Perioperative Concepts and Nursing Management/pre- and postoperative nursing management. Musculoskeletal Care Modalities (The Patient in a Cast, Splint, or Brace; The Patient Undergoing Orthopedic Surgery), Management of Patients With Musculoskeletal Trauma (Fractures), Digestive and Gastrointestinal Treatment Modalities/Parenteral nutrition. Management of Patients With Intestinal and Rectal Disorders/Appendicitis, Diverticulitis, Ileostomy, Colostomy, Intestinal Obstruction. Assessment and Management of Patients With Breast Disorders/Breast cancer. Assessment and Management of Problems Related to Male Reproductive Processes/Benign prostatic hyperplasia, cancer of the prostate. Management of Patients With Dermatologic Problems/Wound care for skin conditions.
Fundamentals of Medical-Surgical Nursing : A Systems Approach 2014.Brady, McCabe,& McCann.2014.Publisher John Wiley & Sons, Incorporated.e-book. 1.3, 1.6, 1.8 (surgical sutures, dressings, drains, postoperative nausea and vomiting, pain management), 2.11 (wound healing/assessment/management, surgical wounds), 2.12-2.21 partly (group assignments).
Yoost& Crawford (2015) Clinical Companion for Fundamentals of Nursing : Active Learning for Collaborative Practice.
Unit 2/Ch 6, Unit 2/Ch 10, Unit 5/Ch 25 (wound healing), Unit 6/Ch 32.
Smith, Alison, Maria Kisiel, and Mark Radford. Oxford Handbook of Surgical Nursing . Oxford, England: Oxford University Press, 2016. Print.
Haavojen ABC. 2018 Verkkokurssi. Duodecim Oppiportti
Keskuslaskimokatetrin (CVK) laitto ja käyttö. 2015. Verkkokurssi. Duodecim Oppiportti.
All material given by the teachers. All material in small group work, lectures and group assignments are part of the course's recommended literature.
Lectures, small group work, online studies, supervised independent work, teaching discussions,
participation in group work. Seminar. CBCL workshop.
THE IMPLEMENTATION PLAN IS SUBJECT TO UPDATE BEFORE THE ORIENTATION
05.09.2022 - 16.10.2022
08.06.2022 - 23.10.2022
0 - 39
Tuuli Laine, Nancy Kamau
Admission to the course requires that the prerequisites be met.
The course begins with an orientation lesson, which requires mandatory attendance.
Absentees will not be accepted for implementation.
The course includes seminar work, which requires active participation in the group
working. There is an obligation to attend seminar presentations.
The course includes CBCL group work, which requires active participation in the group
working. There is an obligation to attend the CBCL induction and the seminar
The course includes 4 hours Mandatory Orientation to skills lab, which will take place inTaitokeskus.
A delay of 30 minutes is considered an absence.
Any absences (for whatever reason) must be compensated by participation in the second group
There are preliminary assignments for orientation training, the completion of which is approved performance.
Bachelor's Degree Programme in Nursing
TAMK Main Campus
Surgical nursing, total required performance
Part 1: Theory of Nursing: Exam Room. Numerical Assessment 1-5.
Part 2: Calculation: Exam Room. Assessment: pass / fail.
Part 3: Small group work. CBCL. Assessment: pass / fail.
Part 4: Seminar. Assessment: pass / fail.
Part 5: Nutrition in Surgical Nursing. Assessment: pass / fail
Part 6: Orientation to skills training. Assessment: pass/ fail.
The theory and medical calculation exam in the exam room week 41-43
Failed theory exam and medical calculation re-exam can be done twice
1: Re-exam: week 46
2: Re-exam: week 49
The online nutrition test must have been completed by 1.11.2022.
No restriction on number of times taken.
Upgrading the exam:
It is possible to try to upgrade the overall grade of the course after all the implementation parts have been accepted.
Upgrading the exam will be in the exam room.
The time for the upgrade test with this implementation is XXXX.
The upgrade is agreed in advance with the teacher in charge at least two weeks in advance